What Is HTML?
HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language. It is not a programming language. it is a Markup language which is used in web development.
HTML is the basic building block of a webpage. It creates basic structure websites and web applications. A web page consists of a series of HTML
elements, which is used to nest other elements, enclose contents of web pages, create hyperlinks, etc.
Markup language is a type of language which is used for the presentation of different elements like text, image, audio, video, etc on computer screens.
HTML tells web browsers how to structure the webpages. It is used by web browsers to interpret and compose text, images, audio, video and other different material into visual or audible web pages.
For example: if you want to display the message "HTML is a Markup Language" on a web browser then you will have to enclose the message in
HTML tag as shown below.
<p>HTML is a Markup Language</p>
You can create static websites using HTML only. HTML elements are described by tags ( Tag is a series of characters and symbols like : <, > and / ) .
HTML documents can be designed simply in notepad using basic syntax required for a webpage design and must be saved with an extension of either htm or html.
Features Of HTML
HTML is a very famous language from its many features here are some important one :
- Simple: HTML is simple and very easy to learn. You can create your first webpage within a day of learning it.
- Platform Independent: Each and every browser support HTML. It can be run on any platform as well like
- Readable: HTML is very easily readable, most of the element name conveys its purpose.
- Video and audio streaming support: HTML5 provides support for adding videos and audios to the web pages.
- Flexible: HTML is highly flexible, you can create almost any web design with it.
- Linkable: HTML can connect to another webpage to jump from one to another webpage.
What You Can Do With HTML
Before learning HTML first let's see what can you do with it.
- You can create small webpages to big websites. For styling webpages, you need to use CSS.
- HTML provides SVG element, using SVG we can create any image which is very lightweight than regular jpeg images.
- HTML is platform independent so you can make web products for mobile, tablets, laptop, etc.
History of HTML
HTML was created by Sir Tim Berners-Lee in the year 1991 but it was not released until 1995 as HTML 2.0.
The major version of HTML was published in 1999 as HTML 4.01. This was a successful version of HTML and was widely used.
HTML versions publishing
- HTML 2 - Published on 24th nov,1995
- HTML 3 - Published on 14th jan,1997
- HTML 4 - Published on 18th dec,1997
- HTML 4.0 - HTML 4 was reissued with major edits on 24th dec,1999
- HTML 4.01 - HTML 4.01 was published as W3C recommendation on 12th may,1999
- HTML 5 - Published as W3C recommendation on 28th oct,2014
Basic HTML code for a simple webpage.
▶ Run the code
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>HTML Introduction</title> </head> <body> <h2>Heading of the webpage.</h2> <p>Paragraph of the webpage</p> <p>Welcome to HTML learning!</p> </body> </html>
<!DOCTYPE html>defines that this document is of HTML.
<html>defines the root element of a web page.
<title>shows heading or title of the web page.
<body>contains all the elements which are displayed on the screen.
<p>is a tag in HTML used for designing paragraphs.
<h2>is a tag in HTML used for heading.
You will get a detailed understanding of all these elements further in this tutorial.
Points to remember:
- HTML is not a programming language, it is a markup language.
- HTML is building block of websites.
- HTML can add audio and video to the web page.